“Another Dark Knight review? Goddamn, we all know its great, Heath Ledger’s Joker is amazing, Christopher Nolan is a God, etc. My God, please just put a rest on this movie and move on!”
That’s probably what you’re thinking right now as you are reading the title of this post. I mean, I know, because this is how I feel everytime I read a review about this movie. And believe me, all the worldly praises that can be written on the face of this planet, I read about this movie. But allow me to indulge you with my review of this legendary movie. Obviously, there will be spoilers thrown here and there in this review but my God, if you haven’t seen the movie, please watch it. You’ll thank me later.
The year the Dark Knight was released in theaters, I was fairly young, around 12 years old. I was used in watching kiddy superhero movies like Superman, the early Batman films, etc. and I was sure that this Dark Knight movie will be just the same. Its Batman anyway, and it should entertain us kids, right? I also heard that Heath Ledger’s Joker is amazing from reviews, so thats another reason to watch the film. So I did.
I was not entertained at all. There’s no cartoonish fight, no eye-popping acrobatic skills, and nothing that will attract kids to see it. Everything is serious, gritty, dark and very cinematic which is very different from the 90’s Batman films. It was more of a cop movie more than anything else and I was very confused as to why critics find the film amazing. In short, the kid me didnt like this movie at all. Not one bit.
Okay, before you crucify me and burn me to the ground, try to understand that Im just an innocent child at the time and I just wanted to see something slapstick and funny. I wasn’t ready for it and I didn’t see it coming. Please don’t judge me.
Hahaha. Kidding aside, I’m so happy that 5 years later, I decided to rewatch the film again. First I watched Batman Begins, which is the first part of the Dark Knight trilogy and I realized that part of the reason why I was so confused as a child while watching the Dark Knight was because I didn’t watched the Batman Begins first. Hey, I didnt know Dark Knight is a sequel! Blame it on my childhood.
Batman Begins is amazing, so after the film ends, I immediately popped in the Dark Knight Dvd. And that night is one of the most historic part of my life because it introduced me to my favorite film. The Dark Knight is the best movie I have ever seen in my life. I wanted to strangle the 12-year old me for not realizing it.
I know you read this a million times, but let me tell you the reasons why this movie is so good.
1. Heath Ledger’s Joker. Love him or hate him, you know in your heart that what Heath did to the Joker was unbelievable. The dedication he gave just to dive in to the character already deserves an Oscar. And no, not even Jared Leto can compete.
2. The psychological games between the Joker and the Batman is mind blowing. Kudos to the writers. The movie depicts how people are changed when pushed to their limits and our understanding of right and wrong are tested. When we people are facing danger, do we just throw away our morals just to survive?
3. The interrogation scene is…. Wow. I cant even come up with a word to describe that scene. Watch it again on youtube just to remind yourself that a scene so short yet so thought provoking can be made in a comic book film. Epic scene.
4. The casting are flawless. Its a cliche but hear me out. How often do you see big actors (Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman) do minor roles? Not very often right? But the way they are utilized in this film made it look like the characters they are portraying are essential. Im speechless.
5. Of course, Christopher Nolan’s direction. Cinematography, camera angles, zoom in, zoom out. Well executed. When you are young you dont notice these things but as you watch more and more films, you begin to understand why these things matter. They amplify the vibe of the film and gives you this unnerving atmosphere. Good job.
Of course I can go on all day, but I chose these 5 things because they are the things that appeal to me the most.
I know that everyone of us have different taste when it comes to watching films. But you have to agree with me, even if you dont like the genre, The Dark Knight is one hell of a movie.
“Oh My God, I knew it would end this way. Another ‘The Dark Knight is the best movie’ review. Way to go, Kienji. You really are MAD.”
Thank You for the compliment!